Sections have numbers, subjects etc. don't. What I want is a series of
subdividisions (subject, subsubject etc. without visible numbers
which nevertheless show up in a chapter table of contents, again
without numbers, just page numbers.

I tried defining a combined list foo thus:
\definelist[subject][alternative=a]
\definelist[subsubject][alternative=a]
\definelist[subsubsubject][alternative=a]
\definecombinedlist[foo]
[subject,subsubject,subsubsubject]
[level=subsubsubject,criterium=local]

but when I state
\placelist[foo]
...nothing appears.

Should I start all over, replace subjects with sections etc. and then
try to suppress the numbering in both places?

There is of course an easy answer that I am missing.  :<(

--
John Culleton