On 8/27/07, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-08-27 13:22, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > See:
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=568536+0+archive/2007/freebsd-ports/20070722.freebsd-ports
> > http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett/texlive/
>
> Thanks :)
>
> > Try to install TeXLive 2007.
>
> I will, but I'm afraid I am not good enough for "porting" it to the
> FreeBSD ports.

Doesn't something already exist on the link above (I didn't read
carefully and I wasn't sure about the FreeBSD/OpenBSD relation)?

> > Does
> >     locate uzcmi8t
> > return you anything?
>
> No, no matches found here.

That means that you don't have those fonts (or that they have different names).

> > Try to install TeXLive 2007 or minimal ConTeXt distribution.
>
> I like ConTeXt a lot, so I will try to install a minimal ConTeXt
> distribution in my $HOME first, and if that fails I will go the
> TeXLive route some time during September.

Well, I forgot that there are no minimals for FreeBSD

> For now, I will have to stick with the CM fonts for a while, and
> finish writing the documents which I want to write.

OK, so here is what you need to do to install the non-existing "minimals":

Step 1: download from PRAGMA:

wget -c http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/justtex.zip
wget -c http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/linuxtex.zip

unzip  justtex.zip
unzip linuxtex.zip

Step 2: download binaries from TeXLive 2007 and prepare a freebsd binary folder

cd tex
mkdir texmf-freebsd
cd texmf-freebsd
svn co svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/i386-freebsd
mv i386-freebsd bin
# perhaps also
    chmod 755 bin/*
mv ../texmf-linux/web2c .
cd ..
rm -r texmf-linux

Step 3: patch setuptex

Find the following ines in setuptex:

export TEXARCH=`uname -m`
export TEXUNIX=`uname -s`

if [ "$TEXARCH" = "x86_64" ] ;  then
    export TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-linux-64 ;
fi

if [ "$TEXUNIX" = "Darwin" ] ;  then
    export TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-macosx ;
fi

and add a hardcoded line below them
    export TEXMFOS=$TEXROOT/texmf-freebsd

Step 4: First setup

Run
    . setuptex
    mktexlsr
    texexec --make --all
    texexec --make --all --xtx
# don't worry about those below yet if they don't work
    luatools --generate
    texexec --make --all --lua

Step 5: compile your document
    cd your-folder
    texexec your-file

Step 6: next time
    cd folder-with-setuptex
    . setuptex
(I've put that command to .bashrc)

If you want TeXLive 2007:
    svn co svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Master
    ./install-live.sh

You can install it in such a way that it doesn't interfere with your old system.

Mojca