Santy, Michael wrote:

> I tried adding type=jpg and/or method=jpg to the externalfigure
> arguments, but the file did not compile.

That is a bit odd, I thought that should have worked. But:

> I found that by adding the entry
> "\definefileinsertion{tpd}{JPG}{\handlepdfimage}" to the spec-tpd.tex

This makes sense. So much so that perhaps it could be added to the
core spec-tpd.tex file.

For now however, putting that line in your local cont-sys.tex is
probably  better, otherwise you will have to remember to reapply
your fix at each context update you do.

> file in the context distribution, the externalfigure is able to
> include this image correctly.      Should the mappings in these files
> be case insensitive?

You could consider using a case-insensitive file system to store
your data on, and lowercasing all entity input to ConTeXt, but
that is more clumsy than the extra \definefileinsertion-s.

Best wishes,
Taco