On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:45:45 +0200
Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:46:32 +0200
> > Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> i need to update a few more binaries, and mojca and i have to fix/test a
> >> couple of xetex things (new xetex bin too)
> >>
> >> Hans
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > can you also add ini files for the plain TeX formats with XeTeX, pdfTeX
> > and LuaTeX and the fonts.conf file for XeTeX. I prefer plain TeX for
> > test files or simple documents where I can live without ConTeXt and
> > this should work out of the box and not only after I create the files
> > by myself.
>
> what's wrong with
>
> texexec --make --all --xetex plain

it could be just a matter of taste but I prefer to call just pdftex or
xetex and the engine with the preloaded plain TeX formats, this is
shorter because the format files pdftex.fmt or xetex.fmt are loaded by
default with the engines and xetex has sets also charclasses to a few
charcaters in his own plain format.

> and alike? i have nu clue what ini files are for

nearly the same thing you do with your cont-de, cont-en files, the load
plain.tex and seta few option like pdfoutput=1 in pdftex.ini.

A simple pdftex.ini could look like

\input plain
\pdfoutput=1
\dump

I know the ini files from w32tex and don't know how the other TeX
distributions like TeXlive or MikTeX handle the formats but I like this
system and the ini files also in the ConTeXt minimals.

Wolfgang