Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:30:49 +0200
> Taco Hoekwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Maurí­cio wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How do I type the female sign (ª)
>>> in Context?
>> Depends a bit on your font setup.
>>
>> In mkiv and xetex and pdftex with texnansi font encoding and
>> in xml input, just type ª.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, there is the macro \ordfeminine
>
> Are you sure this should work, both of them give me different symbols
> (dependent on the font encoding) but no female sign.

The ª (U+00AA)and º (U+00BA) indicate grammatical gender of a number, as
in 1ª Edición. The ♀ (U+2640) and ♂ (U+2642) indicate either biological
gender (or the planets venus and mars).

The 'standard' ConTeXt for these four is:

   \ordfeminine
   \ordmasculine

   \usesymbols[was]
   \symbol[wasy general][female]
   \symbol[wasy general][male]

But the minimals don't contain the wasysym font, so it makes sense
to add your two definitions to symb-mvs.tex, with the added benefit
that it is loaded automatically. And I think it would be nice to be
able to key in \female  and \male directly, so:

   \startsymbolset [gender]

   \definesymbol[Male]  [\MartinVogelSymbol{124}]
   \definesymbol[Female][\MartinVogelSymbol{126}]

   \stopsymbolset

   \startencoding[default]

   \definecharacter female {\symbol[gender][Female]}
   \definecharacter male   {\symbol[gender][Male]}

   \stopencoding

Hans, is that ok?

Best wishes,
Taco