> The same as in my first reply. Look at the first page with the text
> only. There isn't a space behind the sentence(s) and TeX can't break the
> paragraph (text expands it's lower border). This also breaks the
> splitting of the table, as it is (partly) on the same page.

Peter, all of the information that you've sent me has been very educational,
but I think you may be focusing too much on the approach that I've used to
illustrate the errant table splitting behavior.  The example below also
illustrates this behavior and does not extend the text below its lower border
as did the previous example.

This is of course a contrived example -- I unfortunately cannot post a real
example.  You can slightly change the layout and the problem will going away
(for this particular document).  The problem is that my ConTeXt rendering layer
has to process arbitrary XML input and this very same behavior pops up in
documents regardless of the layout.  Making adjustments to the layout, font
size, etc will just change where the problem manifests itself.  It is still
possible that I'm doing something wrong, but my gut tells me that it is a bug
in the context natural table splitting code.

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]

\setuplayout[textwidth=6.5in,
             width=middle,
             height=middle,
             footer=3\bodyfontsize,
             footerdistance=\bodyfontsize,
             header=0pt,
             headerdistance=0pt,
             top=\bodyfontsize,
             topdistance=\bodyfontsize,
             topspace=0.8in,
             bottom=\bodyfontsize,
             bottomdistance=0.5\bodyfontsize,
             bottomspace=0.8in,
             location=middle]

\showframe

\usetypescript[times][ec]
\setupbodyfont[times,13pt]

\setupwhitespace[big]

\starttext

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

[...]

\placetable[split]{Broken Split Table}{%
\bTABLE[split=repeat]
\bTABLEhead
\bTR
\bTH Header A \eTH