Am 2007-12-15 um 20:58 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

>> But – Patrick you work on Mac, too – in which editor/application can
>> I actually *see* a difference?
>
> Don't ask me. I've used emacs and asked it (C-u C-x =) to get me
> information on the character and it told me the unicode
> codepoint.

I'm on a Mac, too.
I use TextWrangler (free edition of BBedit, http://www.barebones.com/
products/textwrangler/download.shtml), there you can open (and re-
open) a file in different encodings - i.e. open a UTF encoded file as
ISO-Latin-1, enable "show invisibles" and you can see the whole cruft.
Or look at a hex dump.

I know no other editor (with a GUI, not vi or emacs) that makes
encoding changes so easy! It can even point you at the characters
that don't fit into some encoding into that you tried to save.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/