On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> I do, but it does't help. I get exactly the same error:
>>
>> I am confused. Consider the following file:
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\test{Test}
>> \test
>> \bye
>>
>> Run it through ConTeXt, and it compiles fine. Run it through pdftex (plain
>> format) and it gives:
>
> \unexpanded is a primitive in etex, introduced when context already had
> an \unexpanded macro; the same is true for \protected
>
> \normalunexpanded gives you the primitive
>
> when loaded in latex, ppchtex should restore the meaning of \unexpanded
> after loading but i cannot test that here

There is a bug in ppchtex.noc. Line 39 says

\let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded

However, on line 181 you load ppchtex. ppchtex assumes that \unexpanded
is the context macro, not the etex primitive. The easy work around is to
move the \let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded line to the end of the
ppchtex.noc. This works fine on my machine.

To the OP: locate ppchtex.noc by kpsewhich ppchtex.noc and copy that file
to your current directory. Cut line 39 (\let\unexpanded\normalunexpanded)
and paste it after line 213 (just before the last line). After this change
the minimal example that you posted works correctly. See if your actual
tex file now compiles.

Aditya