Bart Wise schrieb:
> The code below defines a number and then on each row, displays then
> increments
> the number.  The number is defined and reset to 0 before the table is
> declared.  However, when the number is displayed in the table, it's not zero
> as expected, but some other number (usually between 3 and 9).  The reset at
> reset point #1 does reset the number to 0, but it doesn't stay that way when
> the table is declared.  The only thing I have found to work, is to define a
> row and column and put the reset there (see reset point #2).
>
> I would like to declare and reset the number outside of the table definition,
> but it doesn't seem to work.  What am I doing wrong?

the table is passed several times to get the size maxima, etc.
your number is also incremented in every pass (how many passes?). ;)

use something like this to take care of trial typesetting:

\definenumber[MyNum]

\def\IncrTABLEnum[#1]%
   {\iftrialtypesetting
       \hbox{00}% allocate some space in the first pass
     \else
       \getnumber[#1]\incrementnumber[#1]%
     \fi}

\starttext

\resetnumber[MyNum]      % reset point #1
\bTABLE
%  \bTR\bTD \resetnumber[MyNum] \eTD\eTR      % reset point #2
   \bTR\bTD \IncrTABLEnum[MyNum] \eTD\eTR
   \bTR\bTD \IncrTABLEnum[MyNum] \eTD\eTR
   \bTR\bTD \IncrTABLEnum[MyNum] \eTD\eTR
   \bTR\bTD \IncrTABLEnum[MyNum] \eTD\eTR