WN wrote:

I think chapter titles are supposed appear automatically in the
bookmarks, no need for an explicit \bookmark.
True enough. But should they appear twice ?
I want a custom bookmark for the table of contents and list of figures,
so I used \bookmark[chapter] to include these (once not twice).

Ah, I see now. Looks like a bug to me. I do not understand the code
well enough to fix it, however. I am attaching a minimal example for
Hans.

(meanwhile, you could use \bookmark without the optional argument).

Best wishes,
Taco

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\placebookmarks[chapter][chapter]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]

\starttext
\chapter{In the beginning}
\bookmark[chapter]{In initio} % Without [chapter], this is fine!

Oh no.