On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:48:55 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Morgan Brassel wrote:
>
> > Concerning multline, I only read the specification given in amsldoc.pdf:
> > "3.3 Split equations without alignment". Multline does not support
> > alignment,
> > so you can't put '&' inside it, only '\\'. All it does is cut the equation
> > into several lines: the first is left aligned, the last is right aligned,
> > and
> > all the intermediate are centered. I don't if this is sufficient as an
> > explanation. Please let me know if I can help or test. And thank you for
> > your
> > time!
>
> So, will this user interface be enough:
>
> \startformula \startmultline
>    \NC line 1 \FR
>    \NC line 2 \MR
>    \NC line 3 \LR
> \stopmultline \stopformula

I would change myself the name for the environment from multline to
multiline, we don't have to rely on the short command names as old TeX
packages did for many macros.

> Lines with \FR are flush left, lines with \MR are centered, and lines with
> \LR are right flushed. (First row, middle row, last row; as in tables).
> multline also has \pushleft and \pushright with go against the ConTeXt way
> of things.
>
> It is also possible to just have \NR at each row, and let ConTeXt figure
> out the correct flushing. That will involve a two-pass algorithm, and I
> will give that a try.

I think you should use NR at the end of a line and not different
commands for the first, the last and all other lines. You could change
the alignment of each line with \NC[align=...], this will fit to the
normal commands for tables.

> The other thing is placement of equation numbers. It is easy to implement
> multline so that equation number is always centered. I am not sure if the
> current ConTeXt mechanism allows for equation number to be placed on the
> bottom (similar to tbtags options).

Wolfgang