On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Greetings!
>
>  I am trying to typeset some transliterated Arabic and one of the
>  diacritical marks is giving me a problem. How does one put what looks
>  like a breve accent (a cup or concave arc) under an letter in ConTeXT?

Hello,

First of all, it's nice if the font provides that character. Which
fonts are you using for your document?

I wanted to send you an example of how it can be done in different
ways, but there seems to be in interesting problem with XeTeX at the
moment, so I wasn't able to play with it.

But in general:

a) simply use character U+032E (combining breve below)
It kind-of-works with LM, but not perfect (there has been some
discussion about how to improve the behaviour of combining accents in
LM)

b) use character brevebelow from LM and use TeX to place the accent,
see enco-ini.tex for examples

Of course you can assign your own macro to either of the two options
to access the accent more easily.

Mojca