Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> probably an easy question: for a presentation, I would like to have an
> area of my slide highlighted by placing a transparent grey layer on
> top of the slide and having one area of this layer completely
> transparent, a bit like this screenshot:
> http://debaday.debian.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/key3.jpg
> Any suggestions for the easiest way to achieve this effect?
>
> Thanks

\startuniqueMPgraphic{dim:and:focus}{fw,fh,fx,fy,c}
begingroup
   save q ;
   path q;

   q:= (unitsquare xyscaled(\MPvar{fw},\MPvar{fh})
   smoothed 4px)
   shifted (\MPvar{fx},\MPvar{fy});

   fill OverlayBox--reverse q-- cycle withcolor \MPvar{c} ;

%  draw q withpen pxcpen withcolor darkgray;
   setbounds currentpicture to OverlayBox ; % just to be safe in case of
outside focus rectangle
endgroup;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

no further explanations :D