Thanks Taco, downloading the new zip seems to have some effect. It seems
like I've made some progress.

$ source ~/.context_env $PWD/tex
Setting "/home/mohamed/context-installation-directory/tex" as TEXROOT.

Before I do the rest, should I do

$ texexec --make --alone
or
$ texexec --make (as per Han's recommendation?)

And

$ mktexlsr mktexlsr: Updating
/home/mohamed/context-installation-directory/tex/texmf/ls-R... mktexlsr:
Updating
/home/mohamed/context-installation-directory/tex/texmf-context/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating
/home/mohamed/context-installation-directory/tex/texmf-linux-64/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

On Jul 7 2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater  wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> a.  source ~/.context_env $PWD/tex => results in nothing.
> >
> > What happens if you run the following command manually?
> >
> >   $ source $(HOME)/tex/setuptex $(HOME)/tex
> >
> > (assuming you unpacked directly in your home)
>
> Does (or rather "did") this even work in the old minimal distribution?
> I think that I had to CD to $HOME/tex and source setuptex from there.
>
> Mojca
>
> PS: these big zips are (or at least used to be) a bit outdated. A
> slightly newer (unofficial) version is here:
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/pragma/
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/

Thanks
Mohamed Bana