>> Do you perhaps also know how to draw a frame around the layer
>> boundary? The command \setlayerframed only seems to encapsulate the
>> actual content with a frame …
>
> Can you be more concrete, what do you mean by boundry oround the
> layer.

I'm thinking of a frame that visualizes the actual drawable rectangle
of the layer … that is, for

\definelayer
        [mylayer]
        [x=78mm,
         y=3mm,
         height=43.5mm,
         width=128mm]

I would like a frame to be drawn around the box whose dimensions and
location on the page are specified by x, y, height and width. I'd also
be fine if this area could be shaded with some background colour.

With \setlayerframed I seem to only get a frame which fits the actual
content snugly, e.g. if I draw the text "Hello world" into the layer
then a small frame will be drawn around this text only and not around
the entire layer box …

See what I mean?

Oliver