Steffen Wolfrum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !
>
> Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but *before*
> the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
> Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than
> paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
> outside ConTeXt??

I can't speak for Dutch conventions, but here are some rules concerning
URL's according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition:

  "Where it is necessary to break a URL or an e-mail address, no hyphens
  should be used.  The break should be made between elements, after a
  colon, a slash, a double slash, or the symbol @ but before a period or
  any other punctuation or symbols.  To avoid confusion, a URL that
  contains a hyphen should never be broken at the hyphen.  If a
  particularly long element must be broken to avoid a seriously loose
  line, it should be broken between syllables according to the
  guidelines offered above." (7.44, p. 298)

There's another section of the book (17.11) where they say the same
thing, and give examples:

  http://press-pubs.uchicago
.edu/founders/

  http://www.uiowa.edu/
~vpr/research/organize/humalink.htm

  http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/b.cgi
?artid=19161

  http://www.internetnews.com/ec
-news/article/0,,4_353451.html

Does anyone have any other references handy that could adjudicate on the
matter?  Perhaps this varies from language to language (or even country
to country), though I would be surprised if it varied all that much,
since URL's are a fairly new typographical entity.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama ([EMAIL PROTECTED])