Thanks, Peter. You are right about (Plain) TeX--I just got into the
habit of inserting them.

Defining my own macro to reproduce the control space is a possibility,
and I will do that IF the current behavior of “.\ ’ and the tilde in
MKII is not  remedied. (I have not switched to MKIV yet, but wonder
what happens there.) The downside is that there is a good number of
documents  that will require have to be encoded accordingly.

Cheers, Alan