On Saturday 19 July 2008 06:03:43 am Alan Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Charles P. Schaum
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > With Ubuntu and fonts there are several things going on.
>
> Which begets the question...
>
> Regarding font installation, detection and other (non font related)
> issues which occur recurrently when working with (Con)TeX(t), which
> GNU/Linux distribution(s) is(/are) most user-friendly ?
>
> Alan

I just avoid font miseries by relying mostly on the \font primitive.
The complexities of creating and using typescripts etc. take too much
time and too much head scratching. I do use the Texfont utility to
create the necessary font bits and pieces when I buy a new type 1
font.

 All the aliases etc. in Context don't help me much. I simply define
the needed fonts in the sizes I will use. If I need another size I
just copy the \font statement, change the font name and change the
size parameter.   For nimbus bold condensed I end up with fonts named
numbux nimbuy nimbua etc.

This is of course not the Context way, but it saves me time and grief.

I depend on texlive in my Slackware 12.1 distro.   Slack  comes with
tetex but AFAIK that is no longer updated.  Therefore I don't bother
to include it when building Slack. I install texlive from the cdr and
then modify /etc/profile by adding
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux:
to the PATH= string.
Thus far the versions of Context (mkii) and pdftex etc. found on
texlive have been stable and reliable.

--
John Culleton