Alan Bowen wrote:
Thanks, Michael; this is very helpful. I will prepare a .bash_profile
file and try it out. Where did you put your .bash_profile file?

Alan

.bash_profile should be saved as a text file at the top level of your user account. That is, it should go right alongside the directories that are standardly installed, like Documents, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, and Sites.

Note 1: the dot in front means it won't be visible in the Finder, absent further fiddling and trickery.

Note 2: if you're using TeXShop, I think that these sorts of instructions go in "engine" files. If you look at the "mac newbie" installation instructions, you'll see that the bit about "source ..." is put into an engine file. I suspect, though I don't know, that the TEXMFHOME and TEXMF lines would be incorporated in a similar way.

This may be an easier route to trying this sort of thing out than using .bash_profile. It may be *much* easier if you're supporting other people. Again, I don't know.

By the way, Oliver B's problem appears to be resolved. Changes in the personal texmf tree are picked up now, without further intervention by the user.

Good luck!

Michael