On Sep 7, 2008, at 9:42 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Honestly, I don't think that we need this exact functionality. In mkiv
> textext works perfectly well to achieve the same goal, you don't
> really need \sometxt or \TeXtext. The only question is: do we care
> about backward compatibility? I can also remove the example from MyWay
> or write that it's a bit obscure. It really is an obscure application.
>
> OK, I just neglected the fact that I do use that in the gnuplot module
> (which is not mkiv ready for two tiny and obscure reasons that could
> be fixed long ago). In case that I won't be drawing the graphs for
> thesis in excell, I'll try to fix the module. I don't think that any
> other sane person uses \TeXtext. (I don't, and module should be fixed
> anyway.)
>
> Mojca

Mojca, Aditya,

thanks for your responses. I was aware that you can use textext
(that's what I do right now), but was under the impression that
sometxt was the way to go (faster and more flexible). Now I'm
confused :-)  I was asking because I was working on my presentation
module. One of the metapost graphics for picture inclusion seems to
give problems when run under XeTeX, so I was wondering if I could
replace it with the clever sometxt mechanism Mojca mentions in her
MyWay. But then I saw that this doesn't work in mkiv... I find XeTeX
very hard to support in my module. I don't use it myself, I find fonts
deeply baffling (I still got the darned "mktextfm lmtypewriter-
blablabla" message a zillion times, and there is no way to stop a
XeTeX run; I still had to explicitly disable MKTEXTFM in texmf.cnf in
TeXLive 2008), so I'm considering just giving it up and tell people to
use mkiv instead.

Mojca: I appreciate you write "any other sane person" and not "any
sane person" :-)

All best

Thomas