On Sep 11, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Goebel, Juergen wrote:

> ACK.
> Accustomed to LaTeX this handling had the feeling
> of TeX, but of course it isn't.  Nevertheless I'm
> afraid I'm going to have a hard time to learn this.
> The next problem(s) are already in the pipeline.
>
> Juergen

Of course all of this is highly personal, and everyone is bound to
find the solution he's been working with for a long time "natural" and
everything else "difficult" or "clumsy." Nevertheless: if you want to
write more than just a few trivial macros, you will appreciate all the
system tools that ConTeXt provides. When I started using TeX, I tried
LaTeX, but if you want configurable macros, you have to use additional
packages such as ifthen, keyval or xkeyval. I found their use
extremely clumsy and their documentation horrible. Doing conditionals
in pure TeX isn't easy either. ConTeXt, on the other hand, provides a
wealth of consistent \doif... tests; they are logical and easy to use.
The key=val parser is maybe the center of the entire ConteXt
philosophy and a wonderful mechanism, and even a completely non-CS,
non-scientific user such as I am can learn how to use it. You should
really read the wiki section I recommended (there is also a pdf
version at http://tex.aanhet.net/context/syst-gen-doc.pdf, so if you
want to read it offline, just download it. Hey Taco, we're still
waiting for part 2...) and you will soon appreciate the elegance and
ease of use of these macros.

Thomas