Mikael Persson wrote:

> In both cases the text is small, but math font is not changed. I can
> solve this by doing a \switchtobodyfont in the caption,

You can put the \switchtobodyfont in the style argument:

   \setupcaptions[style={\switchtobodyfont[small]}]

or you could redefine 'small':

   \def\bodyfontsmall{\switchtobodyfont[small]}
   \definealternativestyle [small] [\bodyfontsmall] []

(untested)

If redefinition doesn't work, you have to define a new alternative
style

   \definealternativestyle [MySmall] [\bodyfontsmall] []

but then you would have to go through the style changing
"style=small" to "style=MySmall" etc.

Best wishes,
Taco