Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Diego Depaoli wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> from metafun manual, page 157, I took this example
>>>
>>> \startuniqueMPgraphic{copyright}
>>> picture p ; p := btex COPYRIGHT etex rotated 90 ;
>>> setbounds p to boundingbox p enlarged 1pt ;
>>> draw p withcolor .8white ;
>>> xyscale_currentpicture(\the\leftmarginwidth,\the\textheight) ;
>>> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>>> \setuptexttexts [margin] [] [\uniqueMPgraphic{copyright}]
>>> \starttext
>>> \input knuth
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> but compiling it I get some trouble
>>>
>>> texexec --pdf works as expected
>>> texexec --lua drops colors (COPYRIGHT is black)
>> is ok, use btex color[white]{COPYRIGHT} etex instead
>
> But that doesn't work in mkii then unless some other "hacks" are added.
> (I know, mkii and mkiv are not compatible, but there are no obvious
> limitations why they could not work in the same way.)

actually there are ...

in mkii btex/etex pipes to an external instance of tex and then converts
the dvi to mp code; so, there we have a mp picture that we can color as
such (color info done in the tex job is lost)

in mkiv btex/etex pipes to the current tex instance and mp never sees
the result, only dimensions, and as such there is nothing to color; if i
construct a more comples model for extensions i can make that work, but
i'd rather wait for mplib to be extended with multiple pre/postscripts
(is on the agenda but with low priority)

>> (no colorization of pictures with text in mkiv)
>
> (In the particular case of gnuplot, I have no idea how to deal with
> that situation without a bunch of extra work since it's not so simple
> to convert some color from metapost variable into one that ConTeXt
> accepts in \color[...]. I have \chardef\TeXtextcolormode\zerocount in
> mkii, but I still consider it ugly.)

well, just define a color on the spot ..

{\definecolor[temp][specs]\color[temp]text}

> In the case of XeTeX: no, it's not normal. If you add
> \loadmapfile[lm-ec.map] this solves the problem, but if I was on your
> place, I would use \sometxt{COPYRIGHT} instead of btex COPYRIGHT etex.

indeed (althouh in mkiv they are the same .. btex/etex is converted to
textext on the fly)