On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 12:16:42 -0600, Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Hans and Taco can probably tell you more.
> it all depends on what we want to achieve ...

> - we can have font fixers (dynamically extend fonts with features, but
> this demands knowledge of the font)
> - we can have replacements in the node list (attribute driven,
> relatively easy to implement)
> so before i start looking into this, we need to investigate what is
> needed (and what for)

For things like my journal, I get lots of inconsistent transliterations,
and we are not yet at the stage where we can enforce behavior on authors.
I would like to be able to do things like

Mohamed -> Muḥammad

which would save me a lot of time in proofreading, editing, etc. Getting
the transliteration for the entire journal consistent is a tedious pain,
and eventually I can have a nice database that will cover most cases. This
is also much more convenient than using control-sequence definitions and
watching out for spaces etc.

> (only mkiv)

Indeed ;-)

Best wishes