On 22 oct. 08, at 12:57, Willi Egger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is there anybody who has TeXshop running with the COnTeXt minimals?
>
> I tried to make a new engine which looks up to now as stated her
> under. however I get an error message:

Hi again Willi,

If you have installed ConTeXt-Miimal for MacOS X, the in principle you
don't need at all to set environment variables as the ones you mention.
On the contrary according to my experience, you SHOULD NOT set any
such variables…
Therefore in a Terminal window you should say:
        env | grep TEX
and then say (for instance for TEXMFCNF)
        unset TEXMFCNF
and so on for the other variables if they seem to be unwanted. Also oe
should remove the "export…" variables from the .bashrc or any other
shell files.

This is how I installed ConTeXt-Minimal and how I use it under
TeXShop. (I have a MacBook Pro running under macOS X 10.5.5).

Installing and using the Minimal under Mac OS X in Ten Steps…

1) I created a folder named "context-minimal": this can sit anywhere,
but in my case I put it in a partition of my hard drive names "OK-10.4".
So the full path to that folder is
        /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal

2) In a Terminal window I said
        cd /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal

3) Then in the same Terminal window I said
        rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
Please pay attention to the final "." after "first-setup.sh"…
I got the file "first-setup.sh" in the folder.

4) Then I said in the Terminal window
        sh first-setup.sh
This would take some time (depending on the speed of the Internet
connection) and then I obtained two folders (or directories) named
        bin/
        tex/
and one morefile named "status-of-update.lua".

5) The folder "tex" contains four folders named
        texmf/
        texmf-context/
        texmf-cache/
        texmf-osx-intel/
and four files named
        setuptex
        setuptex.csh
        setuptex.bat
        setuptex.tmf
The folder "texmf-osx-intel" contains among other things a folder
named "bin" in which the binaries are located.
The file "setuptex" is the file which upon execution under a shell
command sets the TEXROOT variable needed for the binary "context"

6) If I want to typeset the file "basic-test.tex" with my new
installation, I have to set up once per session the TEXROOT variable
by saying in my Terminall window:
        source /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal/tex/setuptex
or alternatively
        .  /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal/tex/setuptex
Please pay attention to the dot "." and the space after the dot at the
beginning of the above line…
After that in the Terminal window (assuming that I am in the folder
where the file "basic-test.tex" is present) I just say
        context basic-test.tex
and the file is typeset with mkiv.

7) If I want to put some macros, or files used frequently as \input, I
may put them in the folder:
        /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user

8) Also I may put more fonts in the folder
        /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal/tex/texmf/fonts
in appropriate places (I did this for the fonts rsfs which were not
present in the minimals). However after this I had to run again "first-
setup.sh" as above.

9) Once the minimal was installed on my machine, in order to use it
with TeXShop, I created a file named "ConTeXt-Minimal.engine"
containing only the four lines:
        #!/bin/bash

        source /Volumes/OK-10.4/context-minimal/tex/setuptex
        context "$1"

This file is put in the directory
        /Users/kavian/Library/TeXShop/Engines
and must have the execute bit, that is one must say in a Terminal
window:
        cd /Users/kavian/Library/TeXShop/Engines
        chmod 755 ConTeXt-Minimal.engine

10) Now in TeXShop I can add the following line at the beginning of
any file I want to typeset with the Minimal:
        %!TEX TS-program = ConTeXt-Minimal
or else I may choose "ConTeXt-Minimal" from the pop-up menu which
appears below the window bar of my TeX file.

I hope that the above would be useful for you and other persons.
Since on the Wiki there are already many things on the issue, I didn't
dare to add a new page…
Mojca, if you read this, can you please tell me whether I can add a
new item on the pages you have set up?

Best regards: OK