On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 04.11.2008 um 21:20 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it normal that output from MkII and MkIV are different in terms of
>>> page breaks?
>>
>> Yes. In MKII the interline space is hard coded. MKIV gets the
>> interline
>> space from the font. So, you will get different page breaks. I
>> experienced
>> around 2-5 pages difference in a 100 page document.
>
> The interlinespace in MkII and MkIV is the same and both use a distance
> of 2.8ex between the lines.

Yes, but ex means different dimensions in pdftex and luatex. For example

\starttext

1ex = \the\dimexpr1ex\relax \crlf
2.8ex = \the\dimexpr2.8ex\relax

\stoptext

gives in MKII

1ex = 5.16667pt
2.8ex = 14.46669pt

and in MKIV gives

1ex = 5.172pt
2.8ex = 14.4816pt

The reason is that what ex means is hardcoded in MKII but MKIV gets this
info from the font. For example, if I use palatino at 12pt, the result in
MKII does not change, but MKIV gives

1ex = 5.388pt
2.8ex = 15.08641pt

So, depending on the font, MKII and MKIV can have considerably different
lines per page.

Aditya