I think the error I got was not having enough sleep :-) because I worked on it
this morning and it's working.  I'll tack on my current file below.  The font
features does not seem to make any difference.  However, I took the same
typescript and modified it for the Tallys font and I can turn ligatures on/off,
kerning on/off, etc.  But the same typescript for the Adobe Garamond does not
work, I'm perplexed and a bit frustrated.

I greatly appreciate your help thus far.

Bar

\definefontfeature[default]
    [liga=yes, kern=yes, tlig=yes, script=latn, mapping=tex-text]

\starttypescript[serif][agaramond]
  \definefontsynonym[AGaramondRegular]  [name:AGaramond-Regular]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][agaramond][name]
  \definefontsynonym  [Serif]           [AGaramondRegular]  [features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[AGaramond]
  \definetypeface[MyGaramond][rm][serif][agaramond][default][features=default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[AGaramond]%[ec]
\setupbodyfont[MyGaramond, 12pt]

\starttext

Ydes, Yffignac and Ygrande

fi ff ffi

Two of [of] (of) \quote{of} \quotation{of} of? of! of*.

\quote{Ask Jeff}

\quotation{Ask Jeff}
\stoptext