On Nov 28, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> in such cases you run into lookahead of macros; adding a \relax helps
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:sln
>       \sln\relax
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> of so; let me know if this solves the problem

Hi Hans,

thanks for answering this inaccurate report. No, adding \relax to the
xmlsetup did not solve the problem. Maybe I should try grouping or
sprinkling around \relax in other places of my definitions?

Just btw: I reported a similar problem this spring:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080324.212853.4a4abc6c.en.html

and realized later that again linebreaks are the culprit. From what I
have understood, this is basically impossible: mkiv xml parsing uses
the LPEG mechanism which doesn't see linebreaks as anything special.
Nevertheless, I have these cases where introducing a linebreak makes
elements from the xml tree disappear, removing it makes everything
work. I'll keep an eye on it (and am aware that there may not be an
immediate solution).

Best

Thomas