On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

Lars Huttar wrote:
Hello,

We've been using TeX to typeset a 1200-page book, and at that size, the
time it takes to run becomes a big issue (especially with multiple
passes... about 8 on average). It takes us anywhere from 80 minutes on
our fastest machine, to 9 hours on our slowest laptop.

often there are ways to optimize the document style

In Latex, there is a package called mylatex, which allows you to create a format consisting of your preamble. Then you can call latex with your own format and this speeds up things.

This approach did not provide a significant speed improvement in latex for me, and I don't know whether it will do so in context. Hans and Taco, do you think that creating a personal format and possibly also dumping some font related info could provide a tradeoff between processing speed and disk space?

Aditya