On Tue January 20 2009 4:33:27 am luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Arthur Reutenauer <
>
> arthur.reutena...@normalesup.org> wrote:
> > > I call that BS: I've never heard of such "meta tags" for PDF giving
> > > the page count. The page count is in the root /Pages object per PDF
> > > specification.
> >
> >   I still suspect Bart's publisher means the tags that are part of
> > Tagged PDF, even if he doesn't know their actual name, and has clearly
> > a wrong idea of what they really contain.
>
> to avoid confusione (at least to me):
> xmp and Tagged pdf are different things.

Thanks to all for the information so far, although from all indications, it
doesn't look promising.

I talked to the publisher again and he said that he would send me the exact
error message, but I have not received it yet.  But he did say that his
printing shop wants the ability to download just the header information from a
pdf rather than the whole pdf file which may be up to 80 mbytes.  From that
header information they will have the ability to render individual pages
rather than the whole document.  For example, they could request page 264 and
render that single page as a jpeg.

Note that this is information from the publisher, not the printing shop that
is doing the work, so technically, the publisher's jargon may be inaccurate,
but a basic understanding of the needed functionality is there.

When I get specific information from the printing shop, I'll pass it along.

As a side note, I have published with them in the past, and this seems to be a
recent change on their part. So I may be able to talk my way into letting them
take the pdf file without the tagged information.

But needless to say, I'm very concerned.  If tagged pdf support is not
available in ConTeXt/LuaTeX, I feel that difficulties are either here now, or
at
best, looming on the horizon.

Thanks so much,
Bart