Hi,

I've MacTeX + Minimals.
I use minimals with Smultron.
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/Mac_Installation

Best

-a-

On 21 Jan 2009, at 23:20, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM, David Rogers wrote:
Hello all

I'm going to do a clean re-install of my machine (Tiger on PPC) soon, and I'd like guidance on methods of installing ConTeXt. I assume that (a) TeX Live 2008 with its tlmgr utility, or (b) ConTeXt minimals, are the two
realistic possibilities - is this correct?

What I'd like:

- A clear way of keeping ConTeXt mkiv usable and up to date with Hans's
latest version

- An installation method that will continue to be maintained, and that is expected to be used by the majority of ordinary users of ConTeXt in the
future

...So should I go for TeX Live, or the minimals, or something else I don't
know about yet?

I would suggest MacTeX 2008 + minimals.

I have both, with manually slightly updated ConTeXt in MacTeX 2008.
MacTeX is nice since it "always works" (includes LaTeX and dozens of
fonts and other packages that might be missing in minimals) and you
have a backup system in case that the "latest alpha" in minimals gets
broken.

I have this in ~/.bash_profile:
#. context/tex/setuptex context/tex

and I keep commenting/uncommenting it as needed (or just execute that
line in bash). The nice thing about minimals is that it doesn't
interfere with other TeX distributions, so you can have it installed
in parallel and it doesn't take too much space when compared with TeX
Live.

You need some additional hacks to get the minimals working in gui
applications. Oliver started writing an installer that could simplify
matters a bit, but got stuck with some external bugs at some point and
didn't publically release anything yet.

Mojca
______________________________________________________________________ _____________ If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.va...@unito.it

"The objectives of SuperCollider have been taken a stage further with the development of SAOL, the fruits of a research project based at MIT, launched in 1998" (P. Manning, Electronic and Computer Music, revised and expanded edition, 2004)