Am 29.01.2009 um 21:22 schrieb Antoine Cailliau:

It's hard to say what't the best method in your case is
because more information are needed. The first thing that
came to my mind was to reduce the text area to a narrow
column and place the extra text and the figures and a wide
left margin.

Ok, so I was not so wrong. But my main concern is about
the background that has to take the full height and half width.
In addition, if the background may be larger than the page it
would nice in case of printing (so, no margin at all)

\setupcolors[state=start]

\defineoverlay
  [graybar]
  [{\blackrule
      [color=middlegray,
       height=\dimexpr\paperheight+1cm\relax,
       width=\dimexpr\paperwidth/2+1cm]%
    \hskip\dimexpr\paperwidth/2+1cm\relax}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=graybar]

[rest of the document]

If you want the background on chapter pages etc. it makes sense
to integrate the background in a slightly different way but more
details about the layout needed for this to find the best solution.

Wolfgang