After upgrading, \chem{CO_2} still gives me:

! Font \*palatino10ptmmmrrm* has only 7 fontdimen parameters.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\dosetsubscript ... #1\string #2}{\the #1#2\relax
                                                  }#1#2=\dimen 0\relax
\dodosetsubscript ...bscript {#1}{\textfont 2}{#2}
                                                  \dosetsubscript {#1}{\scri...
\setsubscripts ...setsubscript \mathsubnormal {.7}
                                                  \dodosetsubscript \mathsub...
<argument> \dosetsubscripts
                            $\@@dochemicalstyle {\@@localchemicalstyle \stru...
\chemicalinnerclip #1->{\setbox 0=\hbox {#1
                                           }\ht 0\ht \strutbox \dp 0\dp \str...
l.25 ...nitored three pollutants, \chemical{SO_2},
                                                   \chemical{NO_2} and \chem...
?

I will test more tomorrow.