> ok, thanks for noticing, i added a
>
>  fontforge.close(pfbblob)

good

>> btw, when MKIV is running for the first time (i.e., no cache file). it
>> will use a lot of memory (parsing a 10M font will use 700-800 MB
>
> hm so much?

Yes, when finish reading the following tex file without \bye using plain TeX,
LuaTeX will cost 719M memory on my machine. The font used is Adobe
song std light.

[...@localhost ~]$ cat a.tex
\directlua0{
function load_font (filename)
local metrics = nil
   local font = fontforge.open(filename)
   if font then
       metrics = fontforge.to_table(font)
       fontforge.close(font)
   end
   return metrics
end
myfont = load_font('song.otf')
}
[...@localhost ~]$

when using the above script loading four fonts (you can try this by
adding 3 myfont = load_font('song.otf')),
the memory consumption will be higher than 1G on my machine. Remember
I am using Plain TeX to do this test, MKIV will consume more memory.

> also, mem consumption reported is a bit of a lie because lua seems to
> allocates double of what it needed with each increment but not always use it
>
> otf fonts are already quite packed in mkiv (i'm considering adding an option
> to mtx-font to precache fonts but i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble
>
> is mem consumption less a second run?

Yes, dramatically less. with 4 chinese fonts loaded (I use zhfonts.tex
for testing), MKIV consumes 300-400MB.

Yue Wang