2009/2/4 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com>:

> Am 03.02.2009 um 21:27 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there someone on this list who has tried korean with mkiv? next week
>> taco and i travel to korea (user group meeting) so we'd better know how to
>> do korean
>
> Korean use the same rules for line breaking as chinese but spaces
> in the input are not removed and remain in the output.

Several month ago, I have tried Korean typesetting with MKIV,
but the result was short of satisfactory one.

These are minimum typesetting rule for Korean documents:

``Korean characters'' means here
all Hangul Syllables (U+AC00 .. U+D7A3) plus Chinese Ideographs.

- Spaces between words should be preserved, as Wolfgang said.

- Linebreaking should be allowed between Korean characters.
  We prefer here \penalty50 or \discretionary{}{}{} rather than \hskip.

- Linebreaking is allowed between Korean character and Latin character.
  We prefer here \hskip0pt to make possible hyphenations inside Latin word.

- Kumchik (``Kinsoku'' in Japanese) rule is the same as Chinese or
Japanese typesetting:
  * Linebreaking should not occur after, for example, opening parentheses.
  * Linebreaking should not occur before, for example, closing
parentheses, comma, or fullstop.

That's all.

Best,
Dohyun Kim