Hi,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Michail Vidiassov <mas...@iaas.msu.ru> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> sorry for a stupid question, the unicode math that is about to come
> means formula input using Unicode Math instead of tex commands as suggested
> in
> "Unicode Nearly Plain-Text Encoding of Mathematics"

Yes, you can do that in XeTeX.
(I don't think this is a good idea to do so. math characters are
difficult to input using standard keyboard.)

> http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn28/UTN28-PlainTextMath-v2.pdf
>
> or use of the Unicode fonts with math ranges in rendering
> the result?

You should be very careful by doing so.

Math support is very different from standard text.
It requires more parameters than normal text to determine the position
of the glyphs (normal fonts won't contain these information).
Yes, you can use these fonts, but for most of the time you will get
ugly results.

> BTW, what are the options for getting a unicode math font?

There is an OpenType Math font naming Asana Math which is free
available on CTAN.

> Taking one from MS Office 2007?

Yes. ConTeXt also provides typescript for that.

> Waiting for Stix fonts (what happened yo
> them, there seems to be a delay fir yunpublihrt reason.?

Maybe you should wait for the TeX Gyre Math font. However, I think TG
fonts still need improvements.