Hi Aditya,

Happy luaTeXing. Great summary.

Willi

On Mar 6, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, luigi scarso wrote:

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Am 05.03.2009 um 01:17 schrieb luigi scarso:

\starttext
%%% TeX version
\bTABLE
\dorecurse{5}
{\bTR\expandafter \bTD \recurselevel. \eTD\expandafter
       \bTD \recurselevel  \eTD\eTR}
\eTABLE

\dorecurse{2}
{\recurselevel. \recurselevel\crlf}

And you think it's a good idea to use \expandafter in your document?
TeX  version, not context ... :)
btw
\expandafer is not so bad, if used moderatly .

\expanded is the tool for users to get this result without knowledge
about TeX internals and expansion, this is from core-ntb:

% permits \expanded{\bTD ... \eTD}

\unexpanded\def\eTR{}
\unexpanded\def\eTD{}
\unexpanded\def\eTH{}
\unexpanded\def\eTN{}
yes, of course one need to know about \expandafter... so is not so different .
But it's context style.

%%% luatex version
\startluacode
  tprint = function(s) tex.sprint(tex.ctxcatcodes,s) end
  tprint('\\bTABLE')
  for j = 1,5 do
      tprint('\\bTR')
tprint('\\bTD' .. j .. '.' .. '\\eTD' .. '\\bTD' .. j .. '\ \eTD')
      tprint('\\eTR')
  end
  tprint('\\eTABLE')
\stopluacode
\stoptext

Nice solution and real alternative for package writers to avoid \expandafter and \expanded but nothing for a normal user, I should keep this in my mind.
Are you sure ?
What is a normal user ?
As soon as you use \dorecurse , you become a programmer .

And sooner or later, everyone become a programmer, because it's
impossible to write a format that satisfied
all your needs .

My summary of this thread:
http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/tex-programming- the-past-the-present-and-the-future/

Aditya________________________________________________________________ ___________________ If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!