Jelle Huisman wrote:
Hans Hagen wrote:
Jelle Huisman wrote:
Hans Hagen wrote:
the problem is that the paragraph is larger than two columns and that's tricky to handle without too much messing around (i'll redo the balancer in mkiv once i've arrived at it; i see where the catch takes place but i'd rather not touch the mkii code now)

so, what you can do is trigger the otr before columns end

add \penalty\outputpenalty just before \stopcolumns

(ok, might hav eother side effects

It does indeed not do what I expected. One final try: is there some sort of setting for the number of lines allowed in a column that triggers the OTR, so that I could tweak that? Or is it hard coded and will it break everything?

where did you put the penalty?

Right before \stopcolumns, as you suggested.

\starttext
\showgrid

\startalignment[center] AA \stopalignment\blank
\startcolumns[n=2,balance=yes]
%\dorecurse{40}{a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a } % << this works
\dorecurse{42}{a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a } % << this pushes columns (BB) to the next page
\penalty\outputpenalty
\stopcolumns

\startalignment[center] BB \stopalignment\blank
\startcolumns[n=2,balance=yes]
\dorecurse{100}{b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b }

\penalty\outputpenalty

\stopcolumns

\stoptext

Jelle