Khaled Hosny wrote:
On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 02:55:56PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
Khaled Hosny wrote:
framed, framedtext, TEXpage (and may be others), no longer honor
directional switches. I'm sure TEXpage at least was OK a month ago.

\pagedir TRT\bodydir TRT\pardir TRT\textdir TRT
\starttext
\startTEXpage
\input tufte
\stopTEXpage
\framed{Hello world}
\startframedtext
\input tufte
\stopframedtext
\startbackground
\input tufte
\stopbackground
\stoptext
if so then it's a side effect of changesin the engine (changes in rl handling are dangerous because macro packages are internally lr in many aspects (like positioning data relative to other data) and patching each macro for rl is non trivial (due to possible side effects) so first we need to be sure that the luatex engine is okay

I tried to debug thus further, compiling the following document with
both plain and context formats, in plain all boxes are TRT (the part of
the log after "Completed box being shipped out [1]"), while in context
all boxes are TLT except that hbox that contains the text. Though I
don't know how much relevant is this or what it does actually mean.

\pagedir TRT
\bodydir TRT
\pardir TRT
\textdir TRT
\tracingall
Hello \hbox{World}
\bye

you can comment this in cont-new.mkiv

% \def\pagedir{\expandafter\gobblethreearguments}
% \def\bodydir{\expandafter\gobblethreearguments}

i'm trying to figure out what dirs make sense (even when all are enabled the alignment is no 100% ok; for instance, why should bodydir influence textdir and pardir (i.e. when i would expect the content to be rl independent of page/bodydir

(we need some higher level interface and not these low level *dir commands)

best is if you and idris sort this out (is part of idris onthology)