Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Wed, 08 Apr 2009 21:43:01 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

It works partly: After I called luatools --generate mtxrun now finds
also fonts in my various texmf-trees (and not only the one in the
system folder), but mtxrun works only if I move first font-syn.lua
in the folder of mtxrun. But this only a small nuisance.

hm, i'll have a look at it; i wonder why it fails since it has worked for ages

what does "luatools font-syn.lua" return ?

Nothing if I remove the file from the folder. When the file is in
the folder then I get the answer "font-syn.lua":
I:\TeX-Roots\luatexmf\texmf\scripts\context\lua>luatex --luaonly
luatools.lua font-syn.lua
font-syn.lua

what does luatools --verbose return?
luatools --verbose xxx
should report the loaded databases

This reports:

I:\TeX-Roots\luatexmf\texmf\scripts\context\lua>luatex --luaonly
luatools.lua -- verbose xxx
LuaTools | variable SELFAUTOLOC set to
I:/TeX-Roots/luatexmf/texmf/bin
LuaTools | variable SELFAUTODIR set to I:/TeX-Roots/luatexmf/texmf
LuaTools | variable SELFAUTOPARENT set to I:/TeX-Roots/luatexmf
LuaTools | variable TEXMFCNF set to
{$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/te
xmf{-local,.local,}/web2c}
LuaTools | loading configuration for
I:/TeX-Roots/luatexmf/texmf/web2c from C:/D
OKUME~1/Ulle/LOKALE~1/Temp/luatex-cache/context/7f537eee11bb8927aceaff94d1daa001
/trees/62cf2e94005cc799da35acaa6d6d5848
LuaTools | locating list of I:/TeX-Roots/luatexmf/texmf

[... for all roots list are located]

LuaTools | loading files for I:/TeX-Roots/luatexmf/texmf from
C:/DOKUME~1/Ulle/L
OKALE~1/Temp/luatex-cache/context/7f537eee11bb8927aceaff94d1daa001/trees/9f4ba8a
35f231f48e68c2d0976d83a4b

I looked in the lua-file for the luatexmf/texmf-root: It contains an
entry for font-syn.lua:

['font-syn.lua']='tex/context/base',

I also deleted all the luc-files to exclude the possibility that is
them which are corrupted, but I still don't get a result for the
file (or other files in my roots). I also moved the databases to a
folder without spaces (by setting TMP), but this didn't work either.
So I think that luatools is either not loading the databases or
doesn't use them correctly.

can you set TEXMFCACHE explicitly, say

set TEXMFCACHE=c:/temp

and then run luatools --generate again