Dear Hans,

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

is it possible to produce dvi in mkiv?
DVI has to be fit for dvips use.

The reason for my question - Asymptote vector drawing tool
sets labels by processing PS output of LaTeX and relies on the PS
being made by dvips.

you can produce dvi when you force the pdfoutput mode but you will probably get errors reported

best convert that ps to pdf than and include the pdf

No, no, no!
I have been misunderstood!

The problem is not how to include Asymptote output into ConTeXt.
If it is 2D - then it is just normal PDF, that can be included as usual.
If it is 3D - I have the code, modeled after movie inclusion (thanks Hans,
you fixed it when I have mentioned that it was broken in mkiv).

What I am talking about now is how to typeset labels within Asymptote by
ConTeXt.
Asymptote takes label text, wraps it into a minimal document and feeds to a TeX engine, gets DVI, processes it with dvips, redefines some PS commands (here it relies on the dvips specifics) so that the information on the resulting path is being printed and runs the PS file through ghostscript. Thus Asymptote gets the information of the curves the label consists of. So if it is possible to feed ConTeXt output to dvips, than it'll be easy to adopt Asymptote to use ConTeXt.

If mkiv does not produce dvi (now? never will? not intended to?),
what about mkii?

           Sincerely, Michail

PS. The black side of mirgation from another system - you are both a novice and need to setup/modify your new tool in unevident ways to
translate your existing work into new terms...
You barely drive but need to fit that trusty Gatling on the car's roof :(