On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans
>
> Now I know why XeTeX uses 1-2 minutes to compile a simple document:
> Each time first-setup.bat runs, it erase the user fontforge cache.
> So if I compile a document right after updating ConTeXt minimals,
> XeTeX will automatically run fc-cache to generate the font cache.
>
> Today I test a little bit, the time used for fc-cache -r is
> approximately the xetex's first running time.

True, XeTeX runs fc-cache every now and then, but I didn't manage to
figure out when that happens. I would suggest to ask about that on the
XeTeX mailing list. ConTeXt has zero influence on that behaviour,
except that it could avoid searching via fc.

> Next compilation uses about 7-8 seconds, which is reasonable (it first
> searches the fc cache, then the texmf tree)
> btw, can we change the type-otf.tex to force mkii to search fonts like
> iwona and tex gyre in the texmf tree first?

Iwona? There are lines like
    \definefontsynonym [Iwona-Regular] [file:Iwona-Regular] [features=default]
which means that it first searches on texmf tree, but I suspect that
math fonts are being searched via fontconfig first. The way font
searching is implemented now ([rm-iwonar] will look for
\font\something="rm-iwonar" instead of \font\something=rm-iwona =>
this means searching via fontconfig first; the font is not found
there, so it searches in texmf tree further) it is not possible to
convince ConTeXt to search in texmf tree first unless Hans changes
core macros (the part that has been broken for almost a year).

Mojca