Taco Hoekwater schrieb:
Taco Hoekwater wrote:
Zhichu Chen wrote:

Seems that I don't have too many choices. Maybe using lua to do the
math and throwing the result to metapost is faster? I think I can do
this, but I don't know how. The documents are a little limited.

For circles, probably lua calculations will be faster because the
data manipulation will be a bit easier. But for non-circle paths,
you are better off with a metapost solution because of lua not
knowing about the actual paths.

linear search does seem to do that badly, here is a stub:

Mhh... isn't it easier to just test, if the distance (centerpoint to centerpoint) from the new circle to all already found circles is greater (or equal) than the sum of the radii?
Anyhow an interesting and hard problem (I guess O(n!) ? ).

Best wishes,  Peter