afsmith wrote:
Luigi, Hans, and Wolfgang, thank you for your responses. I'm still
unclear on several things. (comments on your responses follow
afterwards)

Let me try asking these things as questions. Specifically, could
someone please tell me...
1. How do I determine whether I am using MKII, MKIV, or XeTeX to
process my documents?

\doifmode {mkiv} { ... }

\ifnum\texengine=\xetexengine .. \fi

mkiv only run son top of luatex (and the context command replaces texexec there)

2. Given the line from a typescript...
\definefontsynonym[LiberationSerif] [name:liberationserif]
.... how do I determine which file "name:liberationserif" corresponds to?

not relevant since name will sort that out (given that the name is ok)

3. In both MKII and MKIV, how can I determine which typescripts exist?
In other words, how do I determine working arguments for
"\usetypescriptfile"?

by looking at the file, but at some point i expect users to switch to mkiv so if mkiv works for your document, then forget about mkii

3b. Specifically, in the case of...
\usetypescript[palatino][ec]
.... in which typescript is this defined? (given a vanilla context
minimals installation)

that one in type-one (type one font)

4. What defines the output of "fc-list" or "mtxrun --script fonts
--list"? Do they correspond to files? Type synonyms? etc.

mkiv does not use fc-list and as fc-list does not work on my machine i have no clue

5. Do I need to bother with map files for MKII?

normally the typescript handles that

6. Is it particularly recommended that I use MKIV? How stable is it
compared to MKII?

depends on your document; currently somewhat in flux due to reimplementing structure but that will stabelize

Luigi, what do you mean by "and look into base/*"? Which 'base'? Are
you talking about in the context minimals distribution? some specific
online repository? I have seen the two documents you mentioned.
Re-reading them has clarified things a little bit.

tex/context/base

Wolfgang,
Currently the module you linked to
(http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/simplefonts/) is beyond my
understanding... I would first like to understand the mechanism your
module operates on before trying to automate it.

Hans,
I am aware that there are such types of parameters that must be
defined for fonts. I understand 'it is complicated' but this does not
really help make things clearer to me. The inner workings of fonts are
of little concern to me to me at the moment. Right now I do not even
know where to look. I have seen the examples you gave for palatino,
such as...
\usetypescript[palatino][ec]
....but I have no idea where those arguments come from

well, palatino is defined in type-one

if ec makes no sense to you, then just use it (polish use qx, i use texnansi, etc ... it depends on the language you use and for english it hardly matters)