Hi Wolfgang

Alan BRASLAU wrote:

In my understanding, \part serves to delimit
logical sections of related chapters, not volumes.
Maybe I am wrong in this interpretation;
maybe \part is to be used to delimit volumes.
Nevertheless, it should be relatively simple
for the basic user to be able to select the desired behavior
without having to acquire an understanding of the inner workings
such as prefixsets and sectionsegments.

there will be presets but i had no time yet to make them

Can you give a example how to continue chapter numbering over parts, I tried
a few settings with \definestructureresetset but I wasn't very successful.

i redid that bit of code so we now have

\definestructureresetset[default][0,1,1,0][1]

% normally we use the shared default so there is no need to configure
% all levels (confusing anyway)
%
% \setuphead[part][sectionresetset=default]

\starttext
    \placelist[chapter,section,subsection][criterium=all,width=3cm]
\part{first} \chapter{alpha} \section{a} \section{b} \subsection{x} \subsection{y} \chapter{beta} \part{second} \chapter{gamma} \section{a} \section{b} \subsection{x} \subsection{y} \chapter{delta}
\stoptext

(this example resets only chapter and section)

(only in the experimental version on the ftp)