Hi,

I'm not sure I can be of much help (hopefully Taco will have a look), but just a few thoughts:

On Sep 20, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Mika Ritola wrote:

1. This one's probably very simple: there's the /insertauthors macro for inserting the whole name of the author. But how do you insert just the last name of the author?

If you just want the last name, you can use \cite[author][<citekey>], but I'm not sure if this what you're after, maybe you'll need to tell us more.

2. This one, on the other hand, is likely to be rather non-trivial: the bibliography needs to be broken up into several categories of sources. For example, audiovisual sources, newspaper sources and books should be listed under separate headings, somewhat like this:

BIBLIOGRAPHY

I. AUDIOVISUAL SOURCES

[some sources]

II. NEWSPAPER SOURCES

[...]

III. BOOKS

[...]

I've tried to decipher the source code of the Bib module but as I'm not particularly fluent in TeX, I haven't been able to make much headway so far. I'd appreciate some hints on where to start with this. I don't suppose there's any existing code for something like this? Maybe I'd be better off writing the bibliography by hand?

That sounds harder. You basically need three separate bibliographies, each of them sorted in some way. I'm not certain the current implementation of the bib module can do that (i.e. I'm almost certain it can't). How do you want to refer to these items in your text? Again, we'll probably need some more information about what you want to achieve.

Best

Thomas