Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running into a problem, but maybe not all hope is lost. For my Greek
> stuff, I will sometimes need a "dotbelowcomb" accent. Only very few
> fonts have that, but no problem, in mkiv, I can simply take that from a
> follback font:
>
> \definefontfallback [GreekFallback] [name:texgyretermesregular] [0x0323]
> [force=no,check=no]
>
> Now I would like to remap the exclam character to this dotbelowcom.

If it was me, I would go for an active character, as that seems the most
straightforward solution.

> Again, no problem: with a fea file, I can write a sub rule
>
> sub exclam by dotbelowcomb

It is better to forget about fea files alltogether. Even when they
actually work, the interface is ugly.

> but I can't combine both approaches: if the font doesn't have the
> character, I get an error about "invalid glyph index." In good old
> pdftex, it was possible to define a virtual font for such occasions, and
> I seem to remember that there's something similar in mkiv, but I'm
> unsure how it can be done. Any pointers?

Mkiv has an interface for virtual math, but I am not sure whether that
also works for text fonts (not do I know how, if so). If it does not
yet but could be made to do so, then that would be a very useful
extension to the font fallbacks...

Best wishes,
Taco