All-

A few days ago when I first stumbled on ConTeXt I was very, very
excited. I have some 500 pages of technical documentation that could
benefit from this, particularly since I need Japanese font support. But
it has to be real.

I'm sorry if this sounds caustic, but after 12 hours of failed attempts
to even get a minimal document formatted I have some serious questions
for the list:

1.       Is Mark IV real? I am only somewhat joking here - after
spending hours searching for reasonable documentation on even the most
trivial options, I am left wondering whether this is something I want to
use...

2.       ConTeXt looks great. But what is current? Seriously, I like the
look and the support (particularly Unicode). But going over
documentation I cannot make heads or tails of what to do. Mark II? Mark
IV? TeTeX? LuaTeX? If I really want to use this, what should I use?

3.       Having answered #2, where in the world is a reference manual!!!
I mean one that actually *documents the options*.

4.       Having answered #3, are there any current examples that
actually work? The snippets from the mailing are great, but they are
just snippets. That doesn't help me.

Now, to resolve my immediate issue, and just because I will not be able
to sleep well until I figure this out (yes, I am fixated on this).

I want this document structure:

Contents

1.       Chapter                                   1-1

1.1 Section                             1-2

2.   Chapter 2                                  2-1

    2.1 Section                                 2-2

Table of contents on page "i".

Even/odd, each chapter starts on right page.

Page number (as in 2-2) in top margin.

Mark IV, Lua document.

I have tried hundreds of different combinations. If it cannot do this,
the I will (with sadness) move on. I'm sure that it would take someone
who understands this about 5 minutes to write (if that).

-Bryant

Panasonic Electric Works Laboratory of America - SLC Lab
4525 So. Wasatch Blvd., Suite 100, 84124
Salt Lake City, UT 84124

T 801.993.7124
F 801.993.7260
beast...@pewla.us.pewg.pansonic.com

Bryant Eastham
Chief Architect

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***: This e-mail and any attachments may
contain information which is confidential, proprietary, trade secret,
privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is the
property of Panasonic Electric Works Laboratory of America, Inc., and is
solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible or
delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain copy or
disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender and the Office of General
Counsel at generalcoun...@us.pewg.panasonic.com
<mailto:generalcoun...@us.pewg.panasonic.com>  immediately by return
e-mail and delete it from your computer.

<<image001.gif>>

<<image003.gif>>

<<image004.png>>

<<image005.png>>