On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:33, Andreas Harder wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> If I update the minimals via first-setup.sh I get the 32bit-binaries (luatex)
> although I'm on Snow Leopard. If I change the binaries myself it works fine
> and the compilation is notable faster!

We had a lengthy discussion about Snow Leopard. The last message was
Yue Wang's proposal to check for 64-bit compatibility:

> The hardware test:
> Yue:context yue$  if test `sysctl -n hw.cpu64bit_capable | grep -c 1` = 1 ;
> then  echo yes; else echo no; fi
> yes
>
> The software test:
> Yue:context yue$  if test `uname -r|cut -f1 -d"."`  -ge 10 ; then echo yes;
> else echo no; fi
> yes

This test needs to be fixed in:
- first-setup.sh
- setuptex
- mtxrun.lua

The biggest problem is the latest one. I'm not sure if Hans is willing
to implement that in MKIV and I'm still not decided if I want to mess
with that ugly code or not.

The reason for the change:
- a bit faster and a bit more puristic

The reason against the change:
- a bit ugly
- the 32-bit binaries work
- one can always boot in 64-bit mode

There's always a third option to provide fat binaries, but as others
would probably confirm: they are a bit fat indeed. Three times the
original size since we now support 3 platforms.

Any other votes?

Mojca