Hi Peter,

a similar question was asked not long ago ... and as it happens, some time
before that even by me. My solution for ibid footnote citations can be found
here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/54129

It's surely not the "Chicago Manual of Style"-style but probably the
"hardest" part of it (the citation repetition logic). The citation style
related stuff is in the bibl-*.tex files and it should be possible to use
for example bibl-apa.tex as starting point.

Best regards,
Andreas.